When can you call a paint job a good one? When it’s flawlessly done and lasts for a long time! While there may be a number of factors that contribute to a successful paint job, the most basic requirement is equipping yourself with the right tools and getting your hands on the right paint for the job.
Looking to refinish your home’s exteriors? Aside from our para sure quality checklist, here’s a guide on choosing the right exterior paint!
What Type of Surface are You Working On?
There is no miracle paint that you can use on any surface. Your paint has to match your surface’s conditions. Is it a wall that the sun directly hits in daytime? Then a pure acrylic paint that’s flexible and resistant to cracking would work great!
Base it on Paint’s Base
Paint 101: paints have different bases that dictate a lot on how paint performs.
- Solvent-based (oil or alkyd)
- Dries slower than water-based (standard 24 hour cure time)
- Cleans up with paint thinner
- Best for painting over substrates or surfaces previously painted with oil-based paint
- Water-based (latex)
- Dries fast
- Cleans up with water and soap
- Durable and flexible, as it expands in warm temperatures and contracts in cooler temps
Find the Right Finish
Paints also come in varying sheens or finishes. In technical terms, paint’s sheen describes the degree of light reflection paint has. In general, sheens are classified into the following:
- most durable and easiest to clean
- great for high-traffic areas or those in constant use, such as door posts and window frames
- the downside is that gloss tends to highlight surface imperfections
- with careful surface preparation, Interior Gloss Enamel 800GE White should brighten up any space or surface
- has less shine compared to gloss, but also durable and easy to clean
- great for trimwork and casings, and high moisture areas
- Island Tex-a-kote Semi-Gloss White is a decorative coating with strong color fade resistance for outdoor application
- a nice balance of sheen and washability
- for moderate traffic areas or surfaces of decorative purposes
- Island Life comes in premium satin finish with low-odor and anti-microbial properties
- non-reflective and hides surface imperfections
- best for low-traffic areas
- Island Prima Flat is especially formulated to counter the growth of mildew and fungus on concrete surfaces, as well as primed wood and metal